Friday, August 17, 2012

"And (they) said to Moses, "Speak to us yourself and we will listen.  But do not have God speak to us or we will die."    Exodus 20 :19 NIV


"We show how little we love God by preferring to listen to His servants only.   We like to listen to personal testimonies, but we do not desire that God Himself should speak to us.  Why are we so terrified lest God should speak to us?  Because we know that if God does speak, either the thing must be done or we must tell God we will not obey Him."       -Oswald Chambers



Oh, how guilty I am of this very thing!  Reading devotions online, browsing blogs, or scrolling screens - turning the pages of a book someone else has written about God, when He is longing to write His story on the pages of my life. 

I go searching for some deep meaning or answers to the questions I carry and the burdens I bear, when the ultimate answer guide has already been written thousands of years ago.  He is the answer because He is the way. . . He is the truth.

ALL I need is God!

He is fullness!

The work of His salvation and the revealing of His nature and will is already made complete.  He has revealed Himself to us in His Word and by His Spirit.  But I will never hear Him speaking if my mind is clouded with everyone else's experience with Him.  I must take the time to spend in His Word, in prayer, and in being still listening to what He has to say to me, for my life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment