Thursday, December 9, 2010

Not Alone

"No man is an island..." says the poet John Donne, and it is true.  We are created to live in relationship.  The Father himself is in constant relationship with the Son and the Spirit, holy trinity, three in one, united eternally.  From before time or earth or heavens there was God.  The great I AM - together - deciding to create - us - for communion, relationship - with Him.  It is no accident that man was not made to be alone.  The Creator made us to be like Him.  His image in the flesh, thus made to live with - not apart from or unto ourselves, but to connect with others and ultimately with Him. 

I must admit, sometimes island life looks tempting.  Ahhh... to be alone, to breathe, to relax, to think only of myself.  But it's only nice in increments.  If this self is watered too long it will grow into full fledged sin.  Then frustrations and anger and selfishness take root, that only Holy Spirit pruning can tear away.  Culture tells us "you have to look out for number one, " but the Word tells us, deny yourself, "take up your cross and follow me."


Today, let me embrace my relatioships that God has gifted to me.  Let my time be spent in prayer, seeking to know my Father and Savior.  Let me not wince when I hear little feet running into my bedroom at the waking of day, but let my love have victory over my self.  Let me seek out relationships with far off friends and family, to know and be known.  Through the giving of ourselves we will only gain, and the fullness will be greater than we ever imagined.

No comments:

Post a Comment