Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Living

I am part of a very select group of people.  I have been chosen, right now to be among the living.  You may think this sounds odd or silly, but it is a gift.  Life is a gift.  These living moments are short.  Breath filled days are slipping by, and I will never hold more than I have right now.  My life is being lived one short minute at a time, and once that minute is spent it can never be grasped again.



My dear husband loves history.  As he watches the documentary of the Civil War and Abraham Lincoln I see their faces.  Faces of men who once held life.  Men with long beards and top hats of distinguished integrity, willing to fight for a cause in which they believed.  Men sitting on the sides of their cots discussing the battle, or cleaning their hands and faces in wash basins, or attending a speech given by a wise president.  Men who made choices how to live their lives.  Men who in many cases chose to give up their gift of 'life time.'  Men who may be remembered, but in most cases no one will know what they did or who they were or how they made their choices.



My time is now.  Will anyone outside of my own family know who I was or how I lived?  Will my living time be filled with wise choices of building a legacy of grace for others to see?  Will my life point to my Savior?  We all leave a legacy.  The footprint we leave on this earth may be deep. . . touching many, inspiring many, showing many the way to the cross.  Or our steps may be shallow, only reaching those who are close to us, not looking beyond our own four walls to impact the world for Christ.  I pray the steps I choose to walk this week are deep.  I pray I will see beyond myself and my own needs to the lost and hurting ones, and gently lead them to see and know my Lord.



"I want to leave a legacy
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love? Did I point to You enough
To make a mark on things?
I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace who
blessed your name unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy."


-song lyrics by Nichole Nordeman 

No comments:

Post a Comment