Monday, August 22, 2011

Great Day!



Today marked the first day of our homeschooling year for 2011-2012.  I was a bit nervous, didn't feel completely prepared, and wondering how the children might respond to a few changes, but I am glad to say it was a great day!  Our God is so good!  He knows our weaknesses and worries, He knows the little fears that nag us and the anxieties the come, but He can calm them all - He is our Prince of Peace.  All glory goes to Him for giving His supernatural peace, strength, and love to this little family today as we embarked on our educational endeavors.


Things are a little different this year.  We have joined a local Classical Conversations community and are looking forward to our first meeting with them, so this changed our curriculum choices.  We used Bob Jones curriculum for the most part last year and the children seemed to enjoy it and learn quite a bit, and we did decide to use their reading curriculum for our second grader, Grace again this year.  Isaac, in first grade will use ABeka reading, for a stronger phonics base.  We have chosen Saxon math (which I already love) and A Reason for Handwriting and Spelling.  For science I am reading from Apologia's Exploring Creation with Anatomy and Physiology and having the children narrate from that.  History includes timeline cards and an American History textbook for narration as well.  I made some homemade geography notebooks for the kids, which are very simple regional maps of the United States.   Art appreciation will come from library books this year and they are taking a music class to learn simple music theory.  I am so excited about the changes we have made this year and can't wait to see how the children will grow and learn.


I have to say my favorite part of the day is how we begin our mornings.  Last year we had a Bible curriculum that we followed, but it felt too much 'like work' having a workbook for Bible time.  So, this morning we met on the couch in the schoolroom and prayed together, then we read a short children's devotion.  Then each child took a Bible (or Bible storybook) and a notebook, and they found a quiet place by themselves to talk to God.  They could read the Bible, pray, write a letter to God, or write down a list of prayer requests.  I played some soft hymns with harp music on the CD player and set a timer, so they knew when to come back to the schoolroom.  They loved it!  Isaac curled up on the couch, Grace found a corner chair in the dining room, and little Sammy looked at his Bible about half the time and then joined me in the study, so I could read it to him.  I was able to start the day in quiet peace reading on my own and praying (until Sammy joined me) and it was so refreshing!  I must say the most surprising part was when we came back to talk about what we learned about God and the children started confessing sin and saying how they wanted to do better for God.  They were sorry for being selfish and mean and wanted to be nice and share to make God happy.  What joy!  I only hope our T.A.G. (Time Alone with God) time will be as fruitful and peaceful as it was today.  Praise be to God!

I am so thankful today for. . .
190.   His presence, us drawing near
191.   candlelight and math
192.   quiet times
193.   focus and direction
194.   freshly sharpened pencils
195.   turning back brand new pages
196.   excited eyes
197.   husband leadership
198.   magnet calendars
199.   they didn't forget everything  :)


1 comment:

  1. so glad it went well;)

    I was feeling the same! I feel soo under prepared but I think it's b/c we have soo much going on around us!

    We also do a simple Bible and prayer time. I love the idea of giving the kids there own devo time, too!! What a precious gift to teach them so young!

    ReplyDelete