Sunday, March 27, 2011

Give!

It is good to be fed, to be discipled, to walk and grow in fellowship with other believers.

Sundays are a banquet for me.  The one day out of the week where I can sit still for more than 20 minutes at a time and hear the Word.  I leave church renewed, refreshed, refocused, and ready to take on the challenges of the week.  Seeds of thought are planted, meant to grow into a fruit filled life.  Sometimes, however, these sweet heaven thoughts just stay where they were planted.  My spirit sings and heart swells, but do I live what I have learned?  Am I a hearer or a doer?  He is pleased in the doing.  Meditating on the Word is a wonderful spiritual discipline, but what Christ really wants to see, is His followers doing what He says to do. 




Today's lesson was on giving. . .

"Give and it will be given to you.  A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over."  Luke 6:38

The command is to give.  It is an ever present command, not merely give once, or give when you have an abundance, the command is to give always, presently.  Automatically we see dollar signs when the word give comes to mind, but Christ never mentions money in this passage.  Give love, give kindness, give understanding, give gentleness, give compassion, give joy. . . just give.



So often I find myself seeking my own needs, turning to the cupboard or the bed for a nap or the television for an outlet, but the more I seek my self, the less I see of Him.  The answer is in the giving.  If I am giving, I am not looking inward.  Giving focuses on the needs of others,  giving draws us away from ourselves and draws us to relationship.

Christ is our ultimate example, his entire life was a gift.


His ministry was overflowing with gifts.  His gifts of healing to the blind, deaf, mute, lame, dead.  He gave food when he saw the need, as He fed thousands who followed.  He gave as He taught the disciples diligently about the kingdom of God.  Ultimately, He gave His own life. . . crucified for a lost and dying world.  He was given, so we can receive life.


"for with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

God has a promise for us, He promises that if we will give then He will give back to us what we have given and even more.  If we give a cup we will be given back a cup, give a bucket - get a bucket, give a wagon full - get a wagon full.  Our capacity to receive is based upon our willingness to give. 




The paradoxes of Christianity are amazing - be least to be greatest, give to receive, die to live.  It all takes faith.  Do we fully trust Him enough to give?  Are we willing to let go and let God?  Do we believe His promises are true enough to humble ourselves, die to self, and give freely what we have?

I have been challenged and my giving will begin today.



I am grateful. . .

45.  for faithful pastors who preach the Word in love

46.  for healing rain

47.  for mysteries of the Word I have yet to discover

48.  for Sunday afternoon naps full of sweet dreams

49.  for freckles on little girl cheeks

50.  for dimples

51.  for vacations to fun places

52.  for memories relived on old videos of bath taking babies

53.  for being able to comfort my children when they are frightened

54.  for a sweet husband's tenderness

55.  for truth

No comments:

Post a Comment