Friday, July 22, 2011

Bubble Bursting



My new desire is to be intentional as a parent.
I must admit, I can be a bit scatter brained at times.  I am a fly by the seat of my pants kinda girl.  I don't plan well, because I forget what I've planned most of the time.  I usually make my goals for that day in the morning or the night before and complete them one day at a time.  I am terribly forgetful about deadlines and never ask me to get stamps at the grocery store because I will never return with them, even if they are on my list in bold letters and highlighted. 

Sometimes I let this spontaneous living seep over into my parenting style.  It's easier to have fun with my children than to take the time to teach them character traits.  But, the easy road is not the best road.  I have become somewhat lazy in my parenting this summer, finding distractions in entertaining my children rather than discipling them.  We find our time filled with swimming pool days and popsicle time, picnics and park play.  While this is great fun and wonderful bonding time for our family, we neglect the task of teaching. 

So, our parenting journey is taking a new turn, beginning our day in prayer and Bible study and living the Gospel through service projects the kids can take part in.  We are starting slow (because I often get excited about something and jump in too strong only to get overwhwhelmed and forget the project altogether).  We were able to make cards and bake cookies for a lady in the nursing home this week.  She was grateful for our visit and the children learned about caring for those who are lonely or hurting.  My sweet Isaac loves to hug and was hugging people all up and down the hallways, as the elderly ladies commented on his curly hair and asked for more hugs.  He was happy to give them and all three children left feeling glad to be able to bring a little cheer to others' lives in the name of Jesus.



Tomorrow, thanks to an idea from a friend, we are planning to drive around the city passing out water bottles to anyone who may be outside in the heat.  We are bursting out of the bubble we have made for ourselves and hoping to share the Good News of Christ while bringing a little joy to the lives of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment