Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Humility

 "Humility is timid. Write about it, talk about it, and it flees."    
                                                                        -Ann Voskamp


Humility.  What do I know of being humble?
Often I am the one who thinks I have it all figured out.
I am the one who ashamedly tells my husband that most of the time that
'I am right.'

But, humility has no capital I, humility bears no semblance of pride.
Humility lowers self to exalt others, and in doing so exalts our Lord.  

          "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit,
           but in humility consider others better than yourselves. 
           Each of you should look not only to your own interests,
           but also to the interests of others.  Your attitude should
           be the same as that of Christ Jesus:  Who, being in the
           very nature of God, did not consider equality with God
           something to be grasped, but made himself nothing,
           taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human
           likeness.  And being found in appearance as a man, he
           humbled himself and became obedient to death -
           even death on a cross."

                                                    Philippians 2:3-8  NIV


Doesn't that say it all?  Doesn't the living Word of God give us the ultimate picture of humility - the Son of God crucified.

Yeshua - shaper of mountain cliffs and ocean caves, only begotten of the Most High, King of golden lighted heaven - 'made himself nothing.'
He wrapped himself in fragile skin, gave his throne of power to be cradled in the arms of a teenage girl.  Maker of life, making himself nothing. 


Seeking no power, wealth, position of authority, he came to hide himself in humility.  He was the one helping out in the kitchen at Cana's wedding (not to exalt himself, but to serve and obey even his own earthly mother).   He was the one making mud for blind men's eyes, He was the one holding the leper's hand.  He was the one washing dirty disciple feet.  He was the one bearing the cross.


His perfect example leaves me poor.  All my works, all my striving, all my 'goodness,' is as 'filthy rags.'  What I think is gold is really trash.  What I polish and cling to, is really worthless.  

The lesson is learned - I must become less, He must become more.  Serving.  Obeying - as He obeyed, 'even unto death.'  Not seeking praise or power or position, but seeking Him.  Seeking the perfect will of the Father - that is where humility lies.


-

2 comments:

  1. I love those verses... and the reminder of the example of humility that was set by Christ himself!! Thank you;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post on humility. Thank you for pointing to Christ. So true--I must become less, He must become more.

    ReplyDelete