Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Encouragement




There cannot be enough said about the word encouragement. 

His word tells us to "encourage one another and build each other up."      
I Thess. 5:11

Encouragement is food for the soul, air to the lungs, a smile to the lips, and honey to the mouth.

Encouragement, when given at the right moment can shape a life.  I have seen and felt this in my own life.  I have a tendency to focus on my own little world, to put the blinders on and see only the daily things that affect me and my family.  When things aren't going well in my little world, I get discouraged, I pout, and on occassion throw myself into a full blown pity party.  But then, a kind friend, or sweet mother-in-law, or unaware blogger - plants a seed.  A seed that says you are doing a good job, and I noticed.  A seed that says you are not alone in this big wide world and I struggle with that too.  A seed that says I thought of you today and said a prayer. 

No matter how small, the seeds of encouragement supply growth - growth for the soul.

Barnabas was a great encourager to Paul in the Scriptures.  In fact, Barnabas was the one who brought Paul (Saul) before the apostles of the early church, so that he may join in their ministry.  Even when the apostles and others doubted Paul's conversion, Barnabas remained faithful to Paul (Acts 9:27).  The pair continued together through several missionary journeys, preaching in synagogues or in the streets proclaiming with boldness the message of our Lord Jesus.  Barnabas and Paul faced sorcerers, riotous crowds, and even stoning (Acts 14:19-20).  Through it all, Barnabas encouraged Paul and was there for him through thick and thin, which was a testimony of his faithful spirit. 

One thing about encouragement though, is that it is quiet. 
Encouragement comes when one person, in hushed humbleness, exalts or praises another, in order to lift the spirits and inspire a greater work in that individual. 

Encouragement puts others first. 
Encouragement notices the small to make one great.

So often in our culture we tend to find the shortcomings of others, the things that make us imperfect.  It comes naturally to criticize or see the wrong in someone else.  This is so wrong.  What if our Lord focused so intently on our imperfections, our sins, our blemishes?  I know my shortcomings could keep Him busy for a long time.  That is what makes me so thankful that He is a God of love, forgiveness, hope, and joy.  He calls us His children, and don't we love our children regardless.  How much more He loves us!

I was encouraged tonight by a wonderful group of ladies who meet together to study the Word.  So I want to pass along some of that encouragement. 

You are beautiful.
You have gifts that are uniquely yours.
You are loved.
You are sought after by a wonderful Savior.
You have a purpose.
You have been chosen to be His.
You are not alone.
Live your life with all that you are, because all we get is this one short life.

No comments:

Post a Comment