Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Greatest

By the side door of my home, near my keys and purse and coat, sits a box.  Just a small, simple, unpainted wooden box.  It's there as a reminder - to love. 

Years ago, when I taught Vacation Bible School we learned about Jewish traditions - the Passover meal, the tasseled prayer shawl of the rabbi, and the mezzuzah.  The mezzuzah is a box placed on the doorpost of every Jewish home that holds the words of the Shema, the greatest prayer and commandment of the Old Testament.  Whenever someone comes in or goes out of the doorway they are to touch the box and remember the words contained inside.  Some may even kiss their fingers before they place them on the box. 

How beautiful!  What a simple yet meaningful way to bring to life the words of the Word.

But how often do I miss it?  How often do I reach up for my keys to go and forget to touch, forget my Lord's command?

Today, I open the box and uncurl wrinkled and worn paper to read, to see, to hear. . .

"Hear O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is One.  Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength."  Deuteronomy 6:4-5

Be still and hear. 

Our God wants us to do something. . . to love Him.

Is what I'm about to do loving God?  Is where I'm going pleasing to Him?
Have I used my strength for His glory?
Is my soul filled and overflowing with love for my Lord, and am I telling others about Him?

While I'm walking along the road, or sitting in my home, or lying in my bed are my thoughts and words of Him? 

I am to bind these words on my hands and keep them in my mind.  These are words of life.  These are words of truth.  This is the will of God.

This is the path He has for me. . . to walk in His love. 
May I have the fortitude of heart and mind to keep this command before me every moment of every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment