Monday, February 14, 2011

Redeeming Love

I love the story of Hosea and Gomer - how they make me smile and cry.  Prophet made husband to promiscuous wife. Holy and heated. 

I love how Hosea obeyed God even when it was hard.  Imagine being called by God to preach to His people, called out to be separate, a righteous man of God sent to give a message.  But then the Holy One asks him to marry a woman who will prove to be unfaithful.  What?  Perhaps we didn't hear you right, Lord?  You couldn't have said. . . Just think about the humility, heartache, and confusion Hosea must have felt.  And what if he hadn't obeyed at all, then we would never know who Hosea was, but he obeyed God even when it was confusing and difficult and contradictary. 

My little girl struggles so much with going to bed at bedtime - she always says, "but it's soooo hard."  And then I remember my own day, when I completely felt the Spirit telling me to share the Good News with a neighbor, but my thoughts were, "what willl they think, what if it changes our relationship."  Sometimes obedience is hard, but it is always right.

Hosea and Gomer became one.  They made a commitment, a love covenant with one another, married.  Hosea's amazing example of God's unwavering, extravagent love always makes me smile.  His promise held true.  He remained faithful to his wife "in good times and in bad."  He was a rock and fortress of love.  Gomer bears a son and their family grows.  Babe sleeping in mother's arms as father looks on, "We will name him Jezreel."  Questioning look, patient answer, "the Lord has named him."  As a remembrance of the horrific battle at Jezreel and the blood that must be avenged.

Then things change, Gomer's heart wanders, she goes outside of the sweet marriage relationship to seek the world.  Unfaithful, adulterous woman.  I already know I am Gomer.  I already see the reflection of my life seeking things for myself, laughing with the world, finding pleasure in things not of my God.  Unfaithful, adulterous woman.

Two more children born from adulterous affairs, found in the arms of uncaring men.  She earnestly seeks to find love, affection, attention. . . when all along it was right there waiting patiently for her - at home.  Steadfast husband longing for his wife, hoping to catch adoring moments with her, but she is nowhere to be found, and returns home bearing the weight of sin in the form of a child.  We carry our sins when we fail to repent.  Hard, burdensome journeys of sin loads that hurt and scar.

God gives warning when we have gone too far, when our self seeking has taken us out of his sight.  Thus, his warning - Lo-Ruhamah - No Compassion.  God's wrath will not be put off forever.  His mercy is great, but sin must be punished.  Lo-Ammi - "you are not my people and I am not your God." We lose identity with Him when we continually lust after the world.

The crowd is thick as Hosea pushes his way to the front of the group.  The slave market smells of hot shame.  Sweaty men with fist fulls of gold bidding for their newest girl.  Loud voices shouting out their hunger for more.  Then she comes out, clothes torn, dirt streaked arms, knotted matts of black hair covering her ashen face, but she has never looked more beautiful, because she has been found and she belongs to him

"I want her!" the timid preacher shouts holding up all he has to redeem her, to save her from this life of shame.  The auctioneer looks around to see who has spoken and if there are any more bids.  No one else wants this dirty, sin worn woman.  "Sold!" he calls as he points to Hosea.  She slowly looks up to see her new master. . .slow tears wash streams of hope down her face.  Why is he here?  After all I've done. . . how can he?

He helps her down and they walk silently to a quiet alley.  His love looks straight through her as their eyes meet and he tells her plainly, "you are to live with me many days, you must not be a prostitute or intimate with any man, and I will live with you."  Hosea 3:3

God lays out His law for us to follow.  He makes it clear the paths we are to take and the ones we are to flee.  We must follow His ways completely or suffer the consequences of our sin.

She has been redeemed, bought with a price and now she belongs fully to him.  Her life is no longer her own, but she already knows the freedom that is in the arms of her redeemer.  She has tasted the steadfast and complete love of this man, whose very own name means "salvation."

Hosea takes Gomer home to their three children.  His commitment never wavered.  He was faithful to the end.  My God, faithful to me to the end.


I am thankful. . .

23.  for his faithfulness
24.  for his stories of deep meaning that teach life lessons
25.  for letting me see
26.  for amazing forgiveness
27.  for a Redeemer
28.  for purchasing me, though it cost Him His Son
29.  for saving me from sin
30.  for freedom in Christ





No comments:

Post a Comment