Monday, February 28, 2011

Words

"A torn jacket is soon mended, but hard words bruise the heart of a child."  Henry Wadsworth Longfellow


Hard words. 
Words that wound.
Words that scar.  And I am guilty.


Delicate souls have been entrusted to my care.  They need to be nurtured in love, tended with care, enveloped in gentleness.  All too often gentleness falls away, self-control flees, and tempers rise. 


This mirror is a difficult gaze.  Sometimes I don't want to linger to long at this reflection of myself. . . for what I see is ugly.  Sin ravaged soul, dark shadowed heart, sharp wicked tongue. 


When the sin is unto myself, where only I reap the consequences, that is one thing.  But when the fragile spirit of a child is hurt by my belittling, careless words, that is another thing altogether.


It is true that you cannot take back what has been spoken.  Once it has escaped your heart and fallen on listening, trusting ears, the words can never be retrieved.  The slicing syllables make their mark.


I am so very sorry for words I have spoken in anger. 


I am meant to be a guardian for my children, protecting them from ungodly culture, from the harshness of peers, a shelter from this stormy world.  Slowly, an enemy has crept into our lives, our home, our minds.  Our family shows disrespect instead of love, rebellion instead of humility, hurt instead of healing. 


Praise God for grace!  He knows and He forgives!  We confess to Him and one another the sins that have bound us.  There is hope for change.  There is new life in Him. 


My new goal is not to take one day at a time, but one moment at a time. . .surrendering to Him the heartbeat of now, laying down my self, and seeking to follow Him in this moment. 


Help me Father on this journey of knowing You and loving You better with my words, thoughts, and actions.




I am thankful for. . .

36.  second chances
37.  warm days in February!
38.  hikes in the woods
39.  silly girls who fall into streams and laugh at the wildness
40.  boys who love rockets, airplanes, and bugs
41.  little ones who grab your hand and say, "I need you!"
42.  birthday parties
43.  windows that bring in the breeze
44.  morning whispers that remind you He is near



2 comments:

  1. I’m here from Ann’s – and it’s Thursday – but there were a ton of Grateful linkies to read – and I love reading them. And it took me this long to get to yours.

    And amen – we are none of us perfect – but I can tell already you’re a great mom.

    And when I read through the lists I like to think about it a little and pick a favorite – my favorite from yours was 41. little ones who grab your hand and say, "I need you!" ( because they will always, always need you – you are never ever too old to need your mom ) {smile}

    I’m really glad I read you today.

    God Bless and keep you and all of yours

    ReplyDelete
  2. Craig,

    Thanks for your encouragement! You have been a blessing to me today. I love to see how my children are a beautiful reflection of my relationship to my Heavenly Father - how I need Him. Thanks again for taking the time to write. May blessings come your way today.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete