Sunday, May 22, 2011

The American Dream

Society shouts, "Come here, see this big house, with its fireplace and floor plan and fixtures.  You need that.  See the white picket fence around the backyard. . . and the neighborhood - wow!  Oh, and you must have the car(s) to go with it.  What about these clothes, those toys, this cell phone."





The lusts of the world are alluring and I fall. . .


I fall for the delectably delightful life of comfort.  I fall deep in the coveting cavern of cravings.  I fall into the mindset of "I must have."


Then I realize the more I possess the less I am at peace.  The more I own the more of my time is eaten up in maintaining these things.  The more toys to play with, all the more to put away and organize, all the more batteries to replace, all the more dusting around things sitting on my mahogany shelf. 
We all get caught up in storing up these treasures that will always fade or break or lose their appeal, when we should be storing up the real treasure in heaven. 








I choose daily how I will spend my money, my time, my energy.  Am I seeking my self or my Savior?  Will I choose to have lunch out or bring lunch to the crouched homeless man waiting by the traffic light?  Will I choose to use my minutes on the computer or ministering to a hurting friend? 


"But seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you."     Matthew 6:33


"We argue in exactly the opposite way - 'But I must live; I must make so much money; I must be clothed; I must be fed.'  The great concern of our lives is not the kingdom of God, but how we are to fit ourselves to life.  Jesus reverses the order:  Get rightly related to God first, maintain that as the great care of your life, and never put the concern of your care on the other things." 
                                                                 - Oswald Chambers




Thankful today for . . .

119.  grinning boy atop new bicycle

120.  cat purring

121.  hope for a better tomorrow

122.  simplicity

123.  last week of schooling

124.  little one pulling hard on my hand, "Swing me mommy!"

125.  steadfast husband

126.  God coming in the quiet of chromatic cumulus

127.  perseverance


No comments:

Post a Comment