Monday, May 30, 2011

Healing

Have you ever really seen a picture of someone with leprosy?

I really hadn't until recently I was watching a documentary on Africa and the team traveled to a leper colony there.  Wow.

To see a man's face disfigured with infection, the fingers that have been lost so now he can only feed himself with worn nubs of hands.  To see a woman who can no longer walk because half of her feet are gone and the nose on her face has shriveled to one quarter its size.  The loss of touch, the loss of sight, the loss of community. . . all burdens carried by the leper.


Then I am drawn to Luke's story in the Holy Word:

        "As He was going into a village, ten men who had leprosy met Him. 
         They stood at a distance and called out in a loud voice, "Jesus, Master,
         have pity on us!"  When He saw them, He said, "Go show yourselves to
         the priests."  And as they went they were cleansed."

                                                                          Luke 17:12-14


"Master, have pity. . ."
Our precious Lord saw them in their desperate need.  He saw and knew the pain and shame they bore.  He saw the inflammation spreading across their faces, taking over their bodies, leaving them numb and raw.  He saw the withered hands and feet.  He saw the grieving souls of men who had been ostracized by society.  He saw the broken spirits of men who were made to leave their families, their sorrowful wives, their hungry children. 


He saw it all and loved them anyway.

He saw and was moved with compassion.

He saw and healed.


Doesn't he do that for us. . . even daily?

He sees all the sin sickness of my heart that eats away my joy and hope in Him.  He sees the hurting, crying, weak part of me.  He sees the isolation.  He sees it all and loves me anyway.  He sees it all and hurts with me and sees every tear that is spilt.  He sees it all and heals.


The ten lepers were healed through their faith.  They had to take that first step to go and show the priests.  They had to walk in obedience before they could experience the blessing.  So must I.  (Trust and obey.)


Of the ten, one returned to thank his Maker.  One man came running back to where He first saw the Savior and with arms lifted high and breathless voice He praised the Most High.  This Samaritan threw himself at the Lord's feet and thanked Him, for the healing.

I am eternally grateful to my Savior and I am counting the ways. . .

128.  Thank you Lord for healing my sin sick heart. . .
129.  for Your unending compassion
130.  for quiet times
131.  for Your perfect example
132.  for loving me in spite of what You see
133.  for the blessing of tears
134.  for bright, sunny days with children at the splash park
135.  for a robin's nest full of chirping babes
136.  for a full life
137.  for showing us your glory in the small things of life




2 comments:

  1. Thank you Elizabeth! I love your sweet, mold-able heart.

    And I think many times of my need to obey first. I've never seen it before in this story... but how true and what a great encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kelly!
    You are such an encouragement to me as well.
    I read your blog often and am always uplifted and inspired to be my best for my children as you are for yours. Blessings to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete