Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Wake Up Call!

Confession:   Most days I have a bad attitude.

More than I would like to admit, I find myself waking up to the sound of boys jumping out of bunkbeds to go crashing into their sister's room, only to be followed by hollering, hitting, and toy throwing.  And also, more often than I would like to admit, I find myself wanting to cover my head with my pillow and wish for some peace and quiet.











Some days I tire of the potty training, meal making, tantrum throwing, dog jumping, school complaining days.
Some days home is not a happy place to be.

Then I have to wake myself up to the reality that I set the tone for my household.  My environment is shaped by me.  God sends little reminders to help shift my focus from the mayhem to the Master.


"Do everything without complaining or arguing."   Philippians 2:14


Ouch!  Most days, complaining is my mantra.  But, wasn't I just reading about the Israelites who complained about EVERY thing - no food, no water, no shoes. . . and their seeds of discontentment bore the bitter fruit of wandering the wilderness and eventual death in the place they complained so much about.

God is not pleased with a complaining heart.


"Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus."  Philippians 2:5


Wow!  My attitude needs help.  I see it reflected in the rolling eyes of my 7 year old.  My children see my unwillingness to serve. . . my selfish heart and it is reflected in their behavior.  They are mirrors of me, and instead of seeing the beautiful humility of Christ, there is pride which leads to strife.  Christ's attitude was one of submissive obedience, He only did the perfect and complete will of the Father.  My attitudes and actions should reflect that of my Savior.

He also sends a little encouragement:


"He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."                                                   Philippians 1:6


He has not abandoned me to these sinful plagues upon my heart.  My Lord will not forget the work He called me to for His purpose and His glory.  He will complete it.  This sanctifying process is not easy.  His light exposes the hidden things, but through His might we can overcome the darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment