Thursday, June 16, 2011

Serving Savior

"So He got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing and wrapped a towel around his waist.  After that, He poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples' feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around Him."                                                 John 13:4-5


My Savior, stooped and sopping. . . taking the towel to wipe away the grime, the dirt, the ugliness.

Holy One. . . helping heal the hurt of tired, travelling feet.

Wisdom with us. . . washing worn, calloused toes.

Serving humility. . . serving necessity. . . serving example.



"I have set an example that you should do as I have done for you."
                                                                            John 13:15


'You should do'. . . I should follow His perfect example.

Even if the job is messy, even if dirty toes and dirty faces and dirty laundry aren't very fun to clean. 

Even if it means bending low to build others up.  Even if those people aren't appreciative. 


'You should do as I have done for you'. . .

And what amazing works He has done for me!  He only forsook heaven's throne, humbled Himself in complete obedience to the Father, gave His love and His blood and His very life for mine. 

What He has done for me, I must do for others.  He washed the feet, talked over meals, touched the hurting ones, cried with the mourners, prayed for His friends.  I must do as He did.



"I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him.  Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them."                                      John 13:16-17

His blessing is waiting.

All I must do is live it out, beginning with the little ones who lay upstairs sleeping just now, starting with the man I pledged my love to ten years ago, beginning with the neighbors who live in lostness right beside me, starting today. 



"Day after day we must take up the basin and the towel."      -Michael Card




No comments:

Post a Comment